STURGIS® MOTORCYCLE RALLY™
STREET FOOD THROW DOWN
Let’s talk about something everybody loves, FOOD. Everybody loves food, and to go even further, everybody loves street food.
In fact, street food has been such an important part of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, we want to celebrate street food and give it the recognition it deserves. This year, we are unveiling the Street Food Throw Down! This event is the inaugural street food competition event that will determine the “best of the best” in street food at the 77th Annual Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally™. The winners will be chosen by a panel of celebrity judges including Ray Lampe (Dr. BBQ) and local personalities along with city officials from among those food vendors that wish to compete.
How can I compete?
Simple enough. Each vendor paying for a City vending license can register for $10.00 to be in the contest. (Money raised will go to the Sturgis Brown High School Culinary Class) The vendors can register when they are applying for their vending license.
What do the winners receive?
All entries will receive a listing on the Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally™ website to let people know that you have entered the contest. The People’s Choice and the “Best of the Best” winner will receive a banner that they can place on their tent or trailer to showcase they were the Champions of the Sturgis Street Food Throw Down awards as well as a voucher good for next year’s Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally™ vending permit, valued at $1500. Both the People’s Choice and the “Best of the Best” winner will receive a listing on the official Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally™ website for a full year.
- Entries are limited to first (60) sixty food vendors to register. The winner of the contest will be featured on the Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally™ website, Facebook, Twitter & Instagram the day following the contest to feature their signature dish presented at the contest.
- Entry form must be received by 3:00 pm, Monday, August 7, 2017. Contest will be held from August 4th through Wednesday August 9, 2017. Winners will be announced on Thursday, August 10th at noon on the Rally Point Stage.
- Teams are responsible for bringing their own cooking equipment, fire extinguisher, truck, ingredients, utensils and serving dishes. All ingredients for cooking will be supplied by the team. All dishes must be cooked during the six days of the contest. Contestants may compete from a booth or food truck. (No Restaurants) Proof of Sturgis City vending license must be in sight.
- Judges will be anonymous and will purchase the truck's signature dish during the contest time frame. Signature dish may be a main dish, side dish, desert, cake or beverage. (Signature dishes must be a dish served to the general public during the rally.)
- Judging will be based on overall appearance of the space (20%), visual appeal of dish (20%), originality (30%), taste and aroma (30%). Judges decisions are final.
Download the Official Entry Form Here